Microchip announces a family of compact Analogue-to-Digital Converters (ADCs) that offer high programmable data rates of up to 153.6 kilosamples per second (kSPS). The 24-bit MCP356x and 16-bit MCP346x delta-sigma ADC families offer faster programmable data rates over similar devices on the market while providing high accuracy and lower noise performance. Available in a tiny 3 mm x 3 mm UQFN-20 package, these highly integrated ADCs meet increasing demand for small packaging in space-constrained applications such as portable instrumentation devices.
Most high-resolution delta-sigma ADCs on the market have slower programmable data rates of a few kSPS. The MCP356x and MCP346x families offer a much faster data rate, making the devices ideal for a variety of precision applications that require different data speeds, including industrial process control, factory automation and sensor transducers and transmitters. The ADCs also offer integrated features to eliminate the need for external components and reduce the overall cost of a system, including an internal oscillator, temperature sensor and burnout current source.
The new families provide 24-bit or 16-bit resolution, two/four/eight single-ended or one/two/four differential channel options, allowing developers to choose the most suitable ADC for their designs. The devices join Microchip’s extensive portfolio of versatile ADCs that meet the needs of a variety of speed, accuracy and power consumption requirements.
The MCP3564 ADC evaluation kit (ADM00583) is available to demonstrate the performance of the MCP356x family. The kit includes the following components:
- MCP3564 ADC Evaluation Board for PIC32 MCUs (ADM00583)
- PIC32MX795F512L PIM
- USB Cable
The MCP356x and MCP346x ADC devices are available today in 3 mm x 3 mm UQFN-20 packages.
- MCP3561: 24-bit, two-channel
- MCP3562: 24-bit, four-channel
- MCP3564: 24-bit, eight-channel
- MCP3461: 16-bit, two-channel
- MCP3462: 16-bit, four-channel
- MCP3464: 16-bit, eight-channel
For more information, visit: 24-bit MCP356x and 16-bit MCP346x delta-sigma ADC families
- Data rates up to 153.6 kSPS and a compact package size
- 24-bit and 16-bit ADCs improve system performance in high-precision applications
- Fast programmable data rates, high accuracy and lower noise performance
- Integrated features eliminate external components and reduce overall system cost
The Microchip name and logo, and the Microchip logo, are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology Incorporated in the U.S.A. and other countries. All other trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective companies.